Mindset Tweaks: Unleash Creativity and Get Things Done
Learn how changing your approach to how you get things done can unleash creativity and help you accomplish your goals.
What is a mindset? Think of it as a combination of all the beliefs and thoughts an individual uses to approach a situation. It can include a filter of any information that you take in and give out to the world, and it helps you determine how you will receive and react to that information.
When you’re starting a new project, it can be easy to get trapped in the same stale ways of thinking around your approach and tooling. Let’s take an example. Maybe you’re working on a new advertising campaign for a client on a topic you’re very familiar with. Perhaps this is a client you’ve worked with for 2 years and it’s the 15th campaign you’re running for them. Without checking your mindset – and by extension, being mindful of the task at hand – it could be tempting to reproduce the same strategy and approach as the last 5 campaigns.
But we marketers must continue to find inspiration and new ideas in our work, and it can start with some simple mindset tweaks to unlock creativity and reach our goals.
Here are some suggestions:
- Optimize and test what you already know so you’re energized by what has worked in the past.
- Think like a child. There have been many studies around the idea of simply thinking like a child that have resulted in the production of more original and unconventional ideas. Become comfortable with boundless thinking and imagination.
- Look at an idea from all perspectives. You may discover new opportunities that haven’t been considered.
- Allow others to open up to you about their skills and talents, while at the same time building valuable relationships.
- Fall down. Make mistakes so that you can learn from the experiences, grow and rebuild.
- View each project and experience as a stepping-stone. Understand that any problems or issues you experience are steps in the right direction to an eventual goal. With more knowledge for you and your company, you’ll gain lessons that will mold you physically, mentally and emotionally.
- Think of rejection as a ‘not yet.’ Reshape the idea of rejection into an opportunity instead of a negative experience. You’ll have another shot to improve, test other styles or methods, and try again.
- Done is better than perfect. Striving for perfect is a lost cause. It’s finishing and releasing your work that will take you one step closer to reaching your goals.
These are just some of the many mindset tweaks that can immediately change the way you and your team work together. I hope you’ll try them out and see which ones work best for you.
- Mindset Tweaks: Unleash Creativity and Get Things Done - April 7, 2016
- 5 Tips for Project Managers to Handle Roadblocks and Minimize Stress - March 15, 2016